Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Writing Process

Writing Lyrics is a very difficult concept. It takes a lot of concentration and focus. What I find helpful is when you get yourself to focus, stick with it. And do your best to finish the song. The hardest part is when you get stuck. What I always do when I get stuck, is take a break. Go hang out with friends. Go where ever you want, to just pull yourself away from that one main focus. Let the things around you, help inspire some idea's. If you get an idea for a line or chorus part, or any other part of a song. Be sure to have a pencil and paper with you. To just write the little idea's that you have. When you go back to focusing on the song, your idea's tend to flow better. And that helps make the song better. One thing I always do after I finish a song, is edit, edit, edit! When you get everything the way you want it to. Then you will have a good song. For me there is always that one song, that doesn't need editing at all. It turns out perfect on the first draft. Those songs, usually when I post them end up getting the most comments. And very good feedback from others. If I was in a band, those songs would be "hit" songs. That is usually what happens to other bands, or singers. That one song that turned out perfect to them, is what they admire most about writing it. There are certain formats you can follow to writing lyrics. But It helps to switch it up. My War Of The Blade series, is what I call free verse. I didn't always follow a certain format. The problem with that is, that it is much more difficult to put to music. If you do plan to put it to music, the best thing is to count your syllables. Keep a constant count for a certain part of music, when you change the syllable count, you change the music accordingly. This particular series, I intend to follow a syllable count. But I intend to change up the count, accordingly to fit the music. Those are the basics of the writing process for me. Now, if you intend to write lyrics, its your choice to what style you choose to write in. But thats the basics of song writing, and the style I intend to follow. THANK YOU!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment